Monday, June 9, 2014

Boobless in Swimsuits.

Its swimsuit season.  As if the previous sentence didn't invoke enough internal chaos on it's own, I have one minor added obstacle.  Er, rather two minor obstacles....No freaking boobs.

In my own pool, I throw caution to the wind and hop in topless (slathered in copious amounts of sunscreen, of course).  But this last weekend when my family found itself on a little stay-cation at a water park/resort, I found myself stumped on what to wear to a public pool.  Its not like I can just wear a top and appear completely flat chested because I have folds and piles of skin and tissue(being saved for reconstruction) lumped all over the place.  I put my daughter in a full sleeved swimming suit that practically covers her entire body, sun safety trumps cute bikinis everyday in my book.  God I sound old.  So I figured maybe I would get one of those long sleeved shirts and swim in that?  It would hide the disaster that is my chest and besides its practically cancer proof!  I certainly am not going to drop hundreds of dollars on a prosthetic swim suit.  Then I thought, screw it!  I am going topless to the water park.  I don't even have nipples for heavens sake!  I dare somebody to say something.  I actually started feeling compelled to go topless, like I needed to prove something.  What?  Well, I'm not completely sure.

The Susan M Turley Foundation had gifted us with this weekend resort stay.  Susan was a stunning 25 year old that died of colon cancer.  Her family and their foundation gifts young cancer fighters with a weekend away.  The resort that we stayed at had a water park attached and at night they had a movie in the pool.  While Adam watched the kids, I wandered over to the empty hot tub for some quiet time.  As I soaked in the over chlorinated bubbles, my mind kept wandering back to Susan.  What she wouldn't give to be at a resort with her family, boobs or no boobs.  Suddenly all the anger I had been feeling as I watched women prance around in their cute bikinis seemed insignificant.  Whatever point I felt needed proving by marching my bare scarred chest around in public now seemed somewhat self indulgent.  And in that moment, I thanked Susan.  For giving me this weekend with my family, for showing me how insanely lucky I am in every moment simply to be alive.  Susan and I had a moment that night in the hot tub and I was left with a higher understanding of what matters.  And it certainly isn't swimsuits or boobs, or lack their of.  She granted me the confidence to wear whatever the hell I wanted that weekend and walk with my head held high.  Thank you, Susan.
Susan M Turley
Zoie and I in our matching cancer-proof suits.

My chicken loves hotels!

Best brother/sister duo ever!

Side note: I have been feverishly writing a book which is the reason I haven't posted as much recently.  I was asked to tell a candid version of what its like to be young and living with cancer.  There was so much unbelievable crazy  that went on this past year that I wasn't comfortable blogging about.  It's juicy!  Can't wait to share it with you!  Coming 2015!

2 comments:

  1. Should you want a suit (we own a boat, and having a swimsuit throughout various stages of whatever was a constant question for me). I am a big fan of Hapari www.hapari.com - they have space for inserts and they are just as great should you not need inserts. They have been great for covering scars too. A bandeau can also work as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any updates, my friend? Checking in to see how you're doing! <3

    ReplyDelete