Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Matrix


A big ass needle goes into my port before treatment. (a port is a surgically implanted device that deliverers my chemo into the main vein in my neck and down to my heart)
The joke is that every Wednesday I get plugged into The Matrix because really that is what all of this feels like.  I am now living in some alternate universe that doesn't seem anything like mine.  I have a port in my chest that gets connected to a machine that drips the highest legal dose of chemo.  It's at least a 5 hour process and I have to do this for a year.  A YEAR.  Being in The Matrix is the only way I can describe the fog that hovered over me during the first 3 weeks after my diagnosis.  I couldn't process the simplest of thoughts or tasks, I knew I had this wonderful life somewhere I just couldn't access it.  Someday when I am ready I will write about those first few days.  Thankfully, the fog is starting to lift and I am remembering to eat and clip my daughters fingernails.

The day that I found out that I had cancer should have been one of the happiest days of my life, it was the day we got the keys to our new house.  We had saved and scrimped for 3 years to buy the perfect house.  It was going to be a bit of a stretch financially but we are young, healthy, hard working, and wanted to have a house we could grow into.  Instead of being overjoyed I began to think about how I could give the house back.  Was it too late to say never mind?  We had just wired every penny of savings into escrow and now I had fucking cancer. Talk about timing.  Until then my whole brain had been consumed with the house buying process, I couldn't wait to hang curtains and swim in our new pool.  It's all I thought about, I had spent every night dreaming about where every piece of furniture would go.  Man was I passionate about that house.  So passionate that I would have divorced my husband over which wall the TV was going to hang on.  If he didn't like it then he didn't have to live there...I wish I was joking.

Fortunately, there is an amazing thing that happens the second you think you might be dying.  You instantly and involuntarily prioritize your life.  Who gives a crap where the couch goes?  It's this amazing gift that cancer handed me.  Now all I want to do is be in my house snuggled up to my husband, with or without a TV.  Okay, who am I kidding I totally have to have a TV.  As foggy as I felt I was clear about one thing and that is this: very little actually matters.  Reading my daughter "Duck on a Bike" for the one millionth time matters, having Netflix dates with my son actually matters.  I had convinced myself that ridiculous things like paint colors mattered, maybe as a way to entertain myself or maybe to make me feel less guilty about how charmed my life actually was.  The point is, IF I get to come out of this and be okay, if I get to live the rest of my life truly aware of what really matters then I am one lucky bitch.  And for that cancer, I thank you.
My dancing partner.


6 comments:

  1. You are gorgeous Kara! Rooting for you every step of the way! You can do this!

    -Andrea Tippets

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been there Port chemo etc., hang tough and persevere, every day is a day towards wellness

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kara you are a rock star! You are so much stronger then you know. I always look forward to having you make me look better becuse we both know I can not do it myself:) I will be following, and as hard as it is to let your loved ones take care of you let them. They are just returing all the love and care that you give to them everyday!Hugs E.S.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never got to read Duck on a bike to my children. They grew up before it was published. That is a great story and you are so fortunate to be able to share it over and over again with your child.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kara I know it's Wednesday, truly a day in the week that creaates a less than jovial moment, however, sometimes in life a person's true depth, the beauty of their sole as well as their dignity shines through. I feel as though I know you because obviously the good lord gave you the ability to comfort all those around you. God bless you, because your journey shall get better. Sincerely, with all of our love at Western Destinations, Jim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gina (LaMar) NykerkJune 18, 2013 at 10:31 PM

    Your story, your braveness and your honesty take my breath away, my dear friend. I am praying for you fervently during this time. Much, much love from Denver.
    -Gina

    ReplyDelete