Wednesday, November 20, 2013

10 little wishes

In next weeks blog, I plan on paying tribute to my breasts.  I have less then 2 weeks left with them.  Part of me secretly hopes if I just ignore it, it'll go away.  So if it's all right with you, for one more sweet sweet week, I am going to pretend my breasts are staying.  I am seriously scared, mostly of not waking up.  As silly as that may be, it's real.  Today's post is probably going to bore the pants off of you, but it's whats real and on my heart so bare with me.  Next week will be filled with boob shots and crazy irrational rants...scouts honor!

A few years ago, I bought both of my kids the collectors addition of the book "Oh the Places You'll Go" by Dr. Seuss.  I write in both of their books often.  So far, just a few grandmas, papas, and teachers have written in it, but I hope by the time I give it to them that it will be chalk full of words of wisdom from people they loved along the way.  I have no clue when I will give it to them; High School Graduation, College Graduation, Wedding day, Birth of their first child.  I trust that I will just know.  Today, motivated by the fear of my impending surgery, I wrote these 10 wishes and stuck it into each of their books.













To Ayden & Zoie, Fox & Jax, Munchkin Man & Chicken Butt

1.  Always remember how lucky you are to be born who you are.  There is only one of you that will ever exist in all of time.  Being anything other then completely authentic to yourself is robbing the world from having something completely unique.  It's always harder to be different, to stand up for whats right, to not blend it, and to follow your heart.  But if you listen to your gut, it won't ever let you down.  You shouldn't ever have to perform, not for anyone, so don't.  You are exactly who you're supposed to be.


2.  Pick people in life who look through you, not at you.  Beauty will fade, sometimes faster then you expect.  The right people won't even bat an eye.  You, my sweet babies are equip to love this way.  I know this because of the way you love me.  When it comes to people- quality always trumps quantity.  Choose friends wisely and surround yourself with those that lift you up.

 3.  Love hard.  To the tips of your toes. Be there for each other, siblings are one of the greatest gifts life has to offer.    You are part of an amazing, crazy, quirky, and unique family that loved you before you even existed.  Be grateful for them.  They love you for exactly who you are.


 4.  Be joyful.   No matter what it takes, I insist that you be happy.  It's a choice and although a difficult one at times, it is always the right choice.  When people are angry it is always because they are hurting.  Understanding this will save you lots of frustration and heartache. Get silly, laugh until it hurts.  Be contagous.  There is joy in everything, you just have to find it.





















  5.  Tell the truth.  Value honesty.  The very thought you are having this moment is manifesting in your life right now.  Your thoughts become words,  your words become actions, and your actions create the world around you.  Picking honest thoughts, words, and actions will create such a beautiful world.  The rewards of honesty are always going to be more satisfying.



 6.  Screw up.  Screw up royally, because there is no better way to grow.  Some of our biggest accomplishments follow our major mistakes.   

















7.  Sleep on it.  I wish I had learned much earlier the importance of responding, not reacting.  Nothing done in anger is ever productive.  It isn't time that heals wounds, but rather what you do during that time.  Don't be afraid to say what you think and believe, scream it from the roof tops.  Just don't do it in anger.

















8.  Be kind.  Be kind when it's easy but more importantly, be kind when it isn't easy.  If you care about somebody, validate them. We are all made of the same stardust, believing this makes it so easy to love others just as you love yourself.













9.  Give.  Give big, give small.  Give when you can and give when you can't.  Hide dollar bills at the dollar store, fill candy machines with quarters, pay for the person behind you at Starbucks, and always keep one $5 target gift card on you just in case.  There is nothing you could buy for yourself that will bring you more joy then a tiny random act of kindness.  No matter how caught up you get with life, remember how happy doing these things made you.  Breed positivity, everyday.

















10.  Be unrealistic.  Dream huge.  Believe what speaks true to you.  Don't let anyone make you feel guilty for not following along.  Be a forward thinker, explore the world, explore your options, live out of the box.  There is no wrong answer here.  Only ideas.  People will always be passionate about their beliefs.  Respect theirs but be just as passionate about yours.  Educate yourself, study, be open, flexible, but stand your ground.  You have just as good a shot at anything as anyone else, better in fact.  Because you are you.  A completely perfect, original, masterpiece.  Kid you'll move mountains.





7 comments:

  1. Well stated. What more could anyone say?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kara, you are such an amazing woman. I've known you since I was little and I couldn't ask for anything more. This advice for your kids is truly beautiful. You give strength to everyone and you couldn't be more beautiful. God bless you and your family!
    Xoxo, Jillian (aka your Malibu Barbie)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! I love that you have followed me all this way. Your support means the world to me.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. smiles...i like being unrealistic...some good wisdom to pass along...and while i am sorry for the need of mastectomy i appreciate the attitude with which you are facing it...nice looking fam you have as well...thanks for stopping in today...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a beautiful post. I know you are scared (I've been there so I really do know). You aren't alone. There is a community of bloggers ready to hold you up. I LOVE LOVE LOVE what you are doing with the books. Those will be priceless gifts by the time you are ready to give them to your kids. Hang in there and keep talking. You are supported and loved by your "sisters" ... xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for directing me to your blog. This post is so beautiful and so full of love, and yes, full of great advice too! You sound like a wonderful mom.

    I don't blame you for feeling so scared. I've been there too. It is scary, but as Ann Marie said, you aren't alone. Good luck. Will be thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete