Thursday, December 26, 2013

Oz


Right now I am Dorthy waking up in Oz, it's bright and beautiful.  A little scarey.  Adventurous, new, and oh so surreal... The lessons taught to me by the people in this video far surpass those of the Tin Man, Scarecrow, and Cowardly Lion.  The people placed into my path are showing me what being human is supposed to feel like.  I am blanketed in selflessness and grace. I want to stay here in this magical and colorful world forever.  I know that shortly, I have to click my heals and go back to Kansas but not yet.  Right now I am simmering in the most magical Christmas ever given to me.

All along I have needed a goal, something to keep my eye on, something to symbolize that I was going to be okay.  That this too shall pass.  During the first few most terrifying weeks of waiting, when I wasn't sure of anything.  When my doctor told me she couldn't promise me I would live to see Zoie go to Kindergarten.  I had to crack through all that darkness and find a speck of light, no matter how microscopic it was.  I had to set my sights on something.  Disneyland.  It has always been Disneyland.  Not only would Disneyland be a great way to celebrate my recovery, but Disneyland is where 29 year old mothers of 2 should be.  They certainly shouldn't be at MD Anderson Cancer Center!  They should be with their babies at Disneyland! Besides, I am not the only one who needs a break from cancer, my husband and kids lived with cancer everyday too. From then on, every time things got hard, every time I wrenched over the toilet, every time a strand of hair swayed its way slowly to the floor.  I whispered just one thing softly to myself.  "Disneyland."  Visualizing my family at Disneyland, the four of us healthy and happy gave me the amount of motivation I needed to make it through anything.  There were so many times when Adam was able to stop my tears by just saying one word.  "Disneyland".  We had no money to get there, it was totally out of reach financially.  We were struggling to pay our bills, trying to pay down medical bills, knowing that things like braces were much more responsible ways to be using our money.  But I needed it, we needed it.  Even if it was only a fantasy.

On Christmas Eve, my door bell rang and a flood of people came pouring into my living room.  Some of them I have known for more then a decade, some of them are my newest and dearest friends, and some I just met for the first time.  All of them had a common goal. They devoted months of their life to make my secret fantasy come true.  Here is a short video of my Christmas miracle.




As if all of this wasn't enough,over the past few weeks there have been floods of boxes dropped off by my salon girls and their families, friends and family, my clients, my friends clients, and complete and total strangers. This month has been flilled with generousity that I am still struggling to comprehend. I keep pinching myself.  Is all of this real?  This all just to dreamy.  I wish for a moment I could put my heart inside of yours so you could feel how full you made it.  It was the the best Christmas of my life.  I will never forget it.  Every person who sustained and supported us this holiday, from the deepest place in my heart, I thank you.  We're going to Disneyland!!!



Just for fun, here are a few pictures of just how amazing our holiday was!

You sweet girl, are so crazy cool.  I LOVE it.

These people gave us the gift of celebration.  And worked their asses of to do it!




Thanks Susan, I'm stealing it from Zoie!








Best doll house ever, Papa rocks.

Christina and her Family spoiled my kids beyond belief and made me smile from ear to ear with all these goodies!

Tyler played while Liz brought all her presents from the most amazing families in Camp Verde. 

Zoie in her life size dollhouse, she hasn't gotten out yet!



Lots of goodes from lots of friends and families

The Ford Family.

Christina and Family spoiled us beyond belief.



































I wish I was able to express more how much light you brought into our house that day.  It shifted everything.  You all helped us give that boulder the heave-ho it needed to start rolling downhill. It was fun to free fall for a couple days.  I'm not clicking my heals just yet.

P.s.  I am now officially www.thehairlesshairstylist.com!  You can also find me at www.thehairlesshairstylist.blogspot.com.  They will both work.  I feel like a real blogger now!

5 comments:

  1. From a stranger. Just keep blogging! You are looking more beautiful and healthy. I hope you are feeling well. Can't wait to see your pictures from Disneyland on your next blog enter. Happy New Year Ford Family. I am sure it will be a relief to put 2013 behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Laura! Thanks for reading. How did you find me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are absolutely gorgeous with the new look! You rock it better than the long hair. Best wishes to you & your family

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister Linda always shares your recent posts and I then share with my friends. I love reading your blog and need tissues every time. You are a strong young woman and we are all very lucky that you are willing to share your heart and inspire others to fight on and never give up. Enjoy your magical trip to Disneyland with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy for you! Enjoy Disneyland with your family and may the New Year bring much love, health and happiness to you! Fight on!

    Loving the bold blonde... keep rockin' it! YOU look amazing!

    ReplyDelete