Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Ringing Out.

I panicked.  I mean I really panicked.  We're talking ripping off all my restraints, jumping off the table, and running down the hallways with my butt cheeks hanging out.  Yeah, that bad.

Let me paint you a picture:  I am laying in a mold that is fitted for the exact position I am to lie perfectly still in for 40 minutes.  I am strapped to the table and told that if I move even one hair I could risk radiating my heart and/or lungs.  All I have to do is lay there and hold my breath.  I am told that I wont feel, hear, smell, or taste anything.  Completely alone.  Nobody can hold my hand, even the technicians are behind a protective wall.  I am feeling strong, ready, and completely terrified.  As the first blast of radiation goes into my body, my heart instantly palpitates.  My chest is on fire, I swear I can smell flesh burning.  I yell for help and the voice over the intercom quickly tells me to lay still.  I am screaming "STOP!"  "I FEEL IT!" and the voice again reminds me to lay still.  Another blast of radiation shoots into my chest and I am vibrating with fear.  I have no idea if they are going to blast me again but I am too afraid to find out.  I rip off all my restrains and fly off the table.  I'm sobbing, I can feel the crazy rising up in my belly.  I can't do it.  I won't.  I'm done.

I dart out of the treatment room, refusing to deliberate.  I know what I felt, I know my body, and I know that I have gone way too far into crazy town to be rational.  I couldn't get out of that place fast enough.  I had people literally chasing me, begging me to at least talk to the doctor.  I just left.

The next two days I went into a deep dark place.  I had to remove myself from my children because frankly, I was unfit to care for them.  I needed to scream at the top of my lungs, I needed to get mad, and I needed to cry hard.  I didn't need to reason, I needed to cleanse.  I contemplated not doing radiation at all.  I daydreamed about just throwing in the towel and going back to my old life.  Ultimately, it always comes down to one thing.  Life.  I want to live.  

After talking to my doctor and learning that although rare, it is absolutely normal to feel something, smell something, or even taste something, I felt better.  But, mostly it was the copious amounts of Xanax that finally got me through my first treatment.  I now have 3 full treatments under my belt, with 22 more to go.  And at the end, I hope to ring the bell that only the bravest of people get to ring. 





7 comments:

  1. KARA YOU ARE SUCH AN AMAZING YOUNG WOMAN, I THINK ABOUT YOU EVERY DAY, AND PRAY FOR YOU EVERY NIGHT...YOU ARE A FIGHTER, I CAN'T IMAGINE THE FEAR THAT GOES ALONG WITH THIS TREATMENT, THE WHAT IF'S.....AND IT'S GOT TO BE HARD CAUSE EVERYONE ELSE HAS TO GO ON WITH THEIR DAILY RESPONSIBILITIES, AND I AM SO HAPPY THAT YOU WRITE THIS BLOG TO BRING US BACK TO THE EMOTION AND BACK TO HOW STRONG YOU ARE, WE LOVE YOU HONEY,,,,,,DAWN SCOTT.....ALL THE GIRLS AT SIGNATURE MISS YOU SOOO MUCH.....HANG IN THERE, YOU ARE ALMOST THERE....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you are feeling, I went through it myself. You can do it, everyday you will be a little closer, step by step, Stay strong and know that even that I don't know you personally, I support you and care for you. You are a warrior!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can do this! You are a beautiful warrior. I pray for you and your family EVERY Day. Thank you for your posts, I am learning from you. XOXO

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing. You are strong. We are SO proud of you! You've got this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't they just put you to sleep during that dreadful radiation?? They do for a colonoscopy good grief! I know you'll survive all this because of your mind set and determination to get your life back.
    God bless you and keep you STRONG Ms Kara!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Today I recieved a gift from your son Ayden as a random act of Kindness for your Birthday. I work at The Salvation Army in Mesa. That is where the gift and the note were left. I followed the link on the note and that is why I am on your page writing this comment. I wish that I would have seen Adyen leave the gift so I could have talked to him and prayed with him. I received a message from my sister yesterday(who is a breast cancer survivor she is 7 years cancer free. I walk in Relay for Life and always walk for my sister, for hope and for healing. This year I will walk for your fight. I pray that God will place his healing ahands on you and remove this cancer from your body. I pray for your family and all the struggles I know they are going through. Be very proud of your son and his courage to do your 30 acts of kindness by your 30th Birthday. I haven't even met him and I am proud of him. Happy Birthday, God Bless you and I pray you celebrate many more birthdays.

    ReplyDelete